BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday 28 December 2010

Stop comparing EVERYTHING to Twilight!!!!!

I am becoming increasingly irritated at the number of book reviews and comments that I see comparing everything to Twilight and accusing the author of being unoriginal and 'ripping off' Twilight. Comments such as "This book was just a Twilight copy and unoriginal" are unfair to the author unless you detail exactly why the book is a copy of Twilight. Plus they are often made about books written years before Twilight!!! One example of this is The Vampire Diaries series.

Now, I love Twilight and enjoy Stephanie Meyer's writing. Twilight kickstarted me reading for pleasure again, but it seems for some people it has ruined it as they just cannot read a book without comparing it to Twilight.

I would like to point out that Meyer did not create epic romance between two people that should not be together. Nor did she create love triangles. There are thousands of books out there written way before Twilight with that storyline. Stories about vampires and werewolves and the mythology that they are enemies also existed before Twilight. As far as I know the sparkly bit is truly original but I haven't read every vampire book so I don't know for sure.

It's not fair to compare every single book with a vampire and/or romance in to Twilight. It's like going around saying every human only love story ripped off Romeo and Juliet. What really makes a book original is how they tie all the elements together and the world the characters live in.

I am currently reading a book that does have one similarity so far to Twilight. It contains an epic romance where they can't bear to be apart but shouldn't really be together. The rest of the story so far is not like Twilight because it is a story about the Fae, contains different characters and mythology and has a totally different plot altogether. My review will discuss the similarities and differences further.

4 comments:

Laurie-J said...

I am a mature reader who enjoyed the Twilight series, especially the 4th book. Sometimes I got a bit irritated with the teen angst but then I'd remember all the naive things I had done long ago. I also am getting tired of the reviewers who seem to think they must compare all vampire paranormals to Twilight.

I read a book a few days ago that was susposed to be a satire on that very subject though smothered in humor. The book seemed to ridicule those of us who actually love the genre even more. Honestly, I was quite put-off. I'm still trying to figure out how to write a tactful review. :) Luckily I have several days before my deadline to give it more thought.

Thanks for the follow...I followed back. I am new on Book Blogs and really like it, so far!

CarolOates said...

Interesting. I do feel the same way about a lot of YA being compared to Twilight. Strangely, it doesn't bother me about my own book. I got over that long before publication. Now, I see it as a compliment to be compared to a book that inspired people to turn back to reading, that has to be a good thing. Yeah so people are sick of Twilight and vampires but there are people sick of every type of book. No one can please everyone.
As you say it wasn't a first in any sense... apart from sparkles I think. It wasn't even the first vampire called Edward involved with a human, but I still love it.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the comments!

@Laurie, good luck with the review. I shall have to swing by and read it when you're done!

@Rhiannon I loved Twilight and the 4th was my favourite! I do think its a bit like book Marmite- you either love it or you hate it.... but at least it gets most people talking about books :0)

@Carol I'm glad you don't mind your book being compared to Twilight seeing as that's what I actually did! Trust me, it is a compliment.

Diana said...

Lisa,
I couldn't have said it better myself! Like you, twilight brought back that "spark of love" for books, that i though i had lost! but it does get rather annoying having to read reviews where the originality is compared to twilight :( Hopefully that changes in the near future! keep up the good work :)
Diana

ps. you have a suppeerr cute blog! you have a new follower in me :)