BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday 8 September 2011

The Shadowing: Hunted- Adam Slater

The Shadowing: Hunted

This is the first in a YA horror series, and what a start to the series! I just couldn't put this book down. Luckily it is a fairly quick read so it didn't interfere with my sleep!

Callum is a chime child- born between sunset Friday and dawn Saturday when there is a full moon. he doesn't know it yet, but he's the only thing standing between the world and a whole bunch of scary creatures. He's always been able to see ghosts, but suddenly he finds that he has other abilities too.

I enjoyed reading from the male perspective. I tend to read PNR and UF and they are generally from the female point of view. I found Callum's perspective to be interesting, and refreshingly uncomplicated by various bouts of becoming 'weak kneed' or swooning at the sight of an attractive person of the opposite sex. Not that there isn't a possible love interest going on- there is- it's just barely there with the potential to grow into a little more over the series.

The characters are believable, and it was nice to see the character development for Callum and Melissa over the book. I suspect that Gran has a few more secrets to share, and I also hope that we will learn more about Callum's dad as the series goes on.

Hunted is fast paced, gripping and pretty scary too. It's certainly not for younger teens, or the squeamish amongst us. The scene is pretty well set for the next in the series which I can't wait to get my hands on.

3 comments:

bookwormbabe said...

Looks interesting! I love Christopher Pike and this sounds similar....

Katy said...

Great Review!

Lisa said...

@bookwormbabe, yes it is a bit like Christopher Pike. I used to read all his stuff when I was a teenager. I loved all the Point Horror Books. Lol, I feel like I should go to the library now and see if they have any Point Horrors!